Managing editor

Here's a look back at what made news in Collierville 40, 50, 60 and 70 years ago: 

Jan. 27, 1949  Services were held for Mrs. Lee Mann Northcross, the widow of Mr. W. J. Northcross, founder of W. J. Northcross Mantel and Grate Co. Aged 78, she was reared in Collierville and was the daughter of William Buckley Mann and Victoria Wilson Mann. 

Jan. 22, 1959 Dr. Samuel Lee of First Korean Methodist Church in Honolulu, Hawaii was the guest speaker at Collierville Methodist Church on Jan. 20. Visitors from other Collierville churches attended. 

New Junior Deputy Program - Jan. 22, 1969

The sheriff’s department inaugurates a new junior deputy program which is expected to involve 5,000 Shelby County sixth graders. 

Jan. 22, 1969 The sheriff’s department inaugurates a new junior deputy program which is expected to involve 5,000 Shelby County sixth graders. 

Jan. 24, 1979 The board of mayor and aldermen approved the building of 40 townhouses on Center Street. J. S. Hodgin of Germantown will construct the much-needed homes. The lack of rental properties has been a deterrent to growth, the paper reports.

 

Special thanks to the Morton Museum of Collierville History where the Herald's digitized archives are available to the public.